I Beam Bridge
This was one of my earlier bridges. I built it after talking with my uncle, who is a mechanical engineer. He suggested that I try using an I-beam. This was a very good idea, but my construction skills at the time were not the best. In theory an I-beam is excellent for bridges, but I could not make it very well.
I don’t know how much this bridge weighed, but it did not hold very much weight.
I had problems making the two I-beams for this bridge. I had to cut my own strips of wood, and I was not very good at doing that yet. The wood I used was very thin, perhaps too thin. I believe I used 1/32″ x 1/4″ strips.
I could not cut the wood strips very straight, and that was the downfall of this bridge. The pieces to the I-beam were not glued together well at all. I was trying out some unique things with this bridge. And if I had better building skills, it would have turned out much better. In later years I was able to make good I and T beams which performed very well.